How expensive (resource wise) is a Session in Aware?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenHayat

How expensive (resource wise) is a Session in Aware?

Post by BenHayat »

Let's say I have set my session time to 30 minutes when a user logs in, and she is using the app, every 10 minutes. So as far as Aware's server is concern, she is an active user/session.

My question (perhaps to Support) is that, how much resources (especially memory and CPU) get allocated to each session/user?

Aware server is a very rich and capable server (like handling background scheduling and etc) and responding to powerful queries and having a complex ORM built in. Knowing that Aware is complex machinery, unlike another simple product that might be a very simple app server, we are trying to figure out the following case.

a) Should we have less users in our SaaS app with larger monthly payment?
b) Or can we have a LOT of users with smaller monthly payment?

If each session/user has a heavy resource demand on the server, then we should be careful, how many users/sessions we load up at any given time.
Any factual information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
---------
In a recent video I was watching about ASP.Net (up to V4.6), MSFT was saying for every session, ASP has to spin up a series of objects that takes up to 220K, and this did not include the memory that Entity Framework (MSFT ORM system) would use.
So, sessions CAN be expensive. I like to know the price of it in Aware.
Jaymer

Re: How expensive (resource wise) is a Session in Aware?

Post by Jaymer »

It makes me wonder, as I look at my browser with 20+ tabs across the top, how the JVM handles those "active" users and how it handles page swaps.
It certainly would be nice if "the chunk" of RAM used by a connection could be compartmentalized and swapped out after some period of inactivity - but still remain an active connection. Then, after the 10 mins when the user returns, a bit of extra delay as that stuff is swapped back into active memory.
I doubt aware has the ability to tell JVM how to handle swaps, or how to group resources and swap them all together if necessary, but its a nice thought.
jaymer...
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
BenHayat

Re: How expensive (resource wise) is a Session in Aware?

Post by BenHayat »

Hopefully, we hear from Support on this question.

My objective with this question is, in order for Aware to maintain state of each user's session, how much memory will it need? In ASP world, it is very significant amount and in PHP world is very low, and that's why many large sites with million of users like FB are written in PHP. But Aware carries a lot more work for us and I don't expect it to be like PHP.