Plugins

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Squiffy

Plugins

Post by Squiffy »

Hello everyone, I'm currently evaluating AwareIM and Vladimir has let me onto the boards to ask questions.

I understand that many plugins have been written but I can't find them anywhere. Do people make them available? If so, are they listed somewhere?

I have searched but only seem to find dead links.

Many thanks,
David.
David Wylie
Server : Linux (Centos 7), Client : Windows 10, db : MariaDB
"...a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as my wife would have it, an idiot."
BenHayat

Re: Plugins

Post by BenHayat »

David, welcome to Aware Community;

My next comment isn't to hijack your thread, but it's more of FYI.
Firstly, since your first post is about Plugins, what do you require from Aware that you think it may require a third party plugin? I remember the early days I was asking the same questions, but as I used Aware, I have ended up using only one plugin which is STRIPE plugin written by Awaresoft.
The second point is that, Aware offers a one-stop-shop solution when it comes to building Web DB Application. There is a LOT built into the product, where as many other products you have to look for them in third party plugins.

Learn Aware and soon you will see, it does most of the things you need.
customaware

Post by customaware »

Hi David.

Welcome to the Aware IM Developers community.

I can echo Ben's comments regarding plug-ins. I actually have 3 and each of those have been only for extremely narrow tasks that are quite complicated and while I could have written them
in Aware, it made not sense and rather than me nutting it out, it was easier, faster and much cheaper to have Awaresoft write them for me in java.

As Ben suggested, gie us a bit of a heads up as to what you think you might need a plug-in to do and there are many people here who will be able to provide advice.
Either.....
They have already had it written or written it themselves and may provide it for a modest fee, or
Advise if you even need a plugin for that task at all.

If you are just learning Aware, I would not get to hung up on plug-in capability at the moment, save to say, yes, they are doable and can cater for most any situation.
Also, ask away and many are more than happy to help.

Now for a shameless plug.

We ran a Zero to Hero Beginners Workshop at the recent Aware IM Developers International Conference in Bali in February. All the documentation and recordings from that
two day workshop are available. Please see the Pinned Post outlining the details at the top of the General Discussion section of this forum.

So far, everyone that has purchased it have advised that it helped them immensely in terms of ramping up their learning and understanding of Aware IM quickly. I know that I wish I had had
what is in it when I started.
Cheers,
Mark
Squiffy

Post by Squiffy »

Hi all,
thanks for the quick replies. I suppose a brief bit about me might be in order ...

TL;DR at the end :)

I am, with a certain generosity of spirit, a sort-of-programmer. But I run a business as well providing solutions to the telecoms market, and my quest to reduce my programming and increase my solution output has led me to tools such as this. I must code less and build more.

So, at the moment I'm not missing anything. I'm far too ignorant to know what I don't know. But as it is for anyone considering a change of working paradigm I must commit proper time to learn. And part of my evaluation of AwareIM is to get a good picture, warts n' all.

My plugin question stems from an hour I spent on Skype with Vladimir running through the things I intend to use AwareIM for. One of the things I need is the ability to expose and consume APIs that use JSON. He suggested that people had written plugins for such things (my apologies if I'm misquoting you here, I'm going from memory), so the summary goes to the last paragraph ...

TL;DR - curious to know who the plugin devs are and what's already been written for use or sale. I'd like to know in advance (as far as anything like this can be known) if my purchase cost comes with an automatic requirement to buy £5k worth of plugins to be usable for me :) Ok, not being entirely serious, but you know what I mean.

It may turn out I don't need anything at all, which would be fabulous!

EDIT :

Big thank you to Mark for a superb run through of various things. That pretty much allays any concerns I may have had. Better than any sales pitch :)

Thanks, all.
David Wylie
"...a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as my wife would have it, an idiot."
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

David.
On Trial.
Oh no... :D
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

One of the things I need is the ability to expose and consume APIs that use JSON
Exposing JSON is available in Aware IM out-of-the-box as part of the support for Aware IM services (using REST implementation of a service).

Consuming JSON will most likely require a special plugin anyway, because each JSON is likely to be unique for the vendor - I don't think you will be able to use any existing one. We have written many special plugins that consume all sorts of JSON formats.

Awaresoft owns the following plugins and they are $100 each:
1) Integration with an SMS provider Clickatell that allows sending SMS messages from Aware IM
2) Integration with payment gateway Authorize.Net to make online payments from Aware IM using this provider
3) Integration with payment gateway Stripe to make online payments from Aware IM using this provider
4) Integration with payment gateway Braintree to make online payments from Aware IM using this provider

There are quite a few other plugins developed by our customers and owned by them. Some of them have been discussed at the Conference in Bali.

We have also written many plugins that are specific to the applications where they are used - integration with Xero accounting software, for example, where we consume REST services.
Aware IM Support Team
Squiffy

Post by Squiffy »

BenHayat wrote:
David.
On Trial.
Unfortunately I have a slightly unusual sense of humour that does tend to get me into trouble occasionally. Where I consider the impact low I tend to use ambiguity, extraneousness and pointlessness. It amuses me, anyway. Just in case, I am referring to the trial of AwareIM, not my upcoming breach of a UK super-injunction...
David Wylie
Squiffy

Post by Squiffy »

aware_support wrote:

Code: Select all

We have written many special plugins...
Awaresoft owns the following plugins...
There are quite a few other plugins developed by our customers...
We have also written many plugins...
That (coupled with a very generous Skype session with Mark B.) is all good. Thank you.
David Wylie
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Squiffy wrote:
BenHayat wrote:
David.
On Trial.
Unfortunately I have a slightly unusual sense of humour that does tend to get me into trouble occasionally. Where I consider the impact low I tend to use ambiguity, extraneousness and pointlessness. It amuses me, anyway. Just in case, I am referring to the trial of AwareIM, not my upcoming breach of a UK super-injunction...
I knew that. Just joking and having fun.
It's all good and friends here! :)