questions from a NEWBIE

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

questions from a NEWBIE

Post by BLOMASKY »

I have been using Sencha for the last couple of years and (after Sencha has more or less told their small customers to bend over and just take it!) am seriously considering doing new development using AwareIM.

I spent some quality time with Roger Ross (thank you Roger) and we were comparing how things are done with Sencha vs. Aware and I have the following questions:

1) One of my business requirements is when I am reading a “master” table (i.e. Customers), I will want to have a column in the query showing a “total” i.e. the total open invoices, or last 12 months purchases, or date of last payment, etc. I know I can have a field in the customer table that is updated via rules, schedule, but I would like my query to look like “Select custno, name, address, city, state, totalOwed from customers C inner join (select custno, sum(amount) as totalOwed from invoices group by custno) as T on C.custno = T.custno” Can I do this in Aware?

2) Can I have a stored procedure used in a query (This would solve problem #1)

3) I will be using MSSQL. Can other programs access (insert, update and delete) the same tables that are used in Aware?

I am sure I will find more questions as I keep kicking the tires.

Bruce Lomasky
kklosson

Re: questions from a NEWBIE

Post by kklosson »

To your preamble: I'm sure you know that AwareIM constructs its UI with Sencha but the developer needs no knowledge of it. In the next major release, they are converting this to Kendo. Search the board for kendo and read all about it.

Q1: I don't know, see Q2.

Q2: Yes, there is an AwareIM action to call a stored procedure.

Q3: Yes but AwareIM constructs relationships in a unique way. I suggest you study the included apps like CRM and see how they build the database relationships. You should probably not alter the database schema outside of AwareIM. You probably can, but you should first have a very thorough understanding of how AwareIM manages the database, because it is in charge of the database, not you.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
customaware

Post by customaware »

Hi Bruce,

Great to see you taking Aware IM for a spin around the block. Welcome aboard.

Regarding your first question..... it is not doable exactly as you describe.
What you can do is this....

If the total is in some other Business Object that is related to Customer then you can do it with a Shortcut. However, you cannot
do it on the fly.
You can use a summary at the bottom of a query for the total of a value of all the records in a query. You can also use an aggregation
style attribute (If I remember correctly ) in a report.

However, that being said..... is there any reason you do not want the total maintained in the parent. It is very simple to keep that total in sync with BO rules.

PM me Bruce and let's have a chat or send me an email to [email protected]
Cheers,
Mark
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

eagles9999 wrote: However, that being said..... is there any reason you do not want the total maintained in the parent. It is very simple to keep that total in sync with BO rules.
Exactly!
yuri.rj

Post by yuri.rj »

I don't know if it would help, but I have one particular case that I use a VIEW as a business Object
It's a business object just to read some data... And it's like you said... I have SUM and stuff like that in this VIEW...
BLOMASKY

Why I don't think I can keep the data in the parent object

Post by BLOMASKY »

For one of my customers, a requirement is when they search for a vendor, besides seeing the demographics (name, address, phone, etc.), they also want to see the last 12 months and the prior 12 months purchases. This is easy to do in a SQL query, but if I was storing as a column (errr, I mean field) in a BO, I would have to:

1) Every night, recompute that since each day the data would change
2) have a rule every time I added, changed or deleted a purchase order to update this.

Much easier to just join 2 tables together. Also, with large systems, I do not want to transfer the large # of POs to the client, just to ahve the totals computed.

Does this make sense?
Do I make sense?

What is the weather like in Poquet (sp) in February?

Bruce