Timeout

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
robleer

Timeout

Post by robleer »

Hi,

I want to set the timeout of an AwareIM session to very long (5 hours). I've changed this in the Aware setting, but I've noticed that after about 30 minutes the system still had a timeout.
I changed some setting in the Tomcat, but I am not sure how to do this. Can anyone describe the right stept to change the timeout setting through the whole Aware setup?

For you information what happens: I have a business object open on my screen, then I wait about 45 minutes and press the 'Save' button of that business object. The system shows a 'Sending data...' message, but that message is shown forever. A press on the F5 button works to go back to the main system, but the business object is not saved.
I think this has to do with those session timeouts, has it??
Using 8.7 Professional 3025 on MySQL/Windows
BenHayat

Re: Timeout

Post by BenHayat »

I'm also interested an answer to OP's question, since I had also changed the timeout in Control Panel to 45/60/90 and it still timed out after 30 minutes which is the default. This is also going to be critical for our Mobile app.

If that's where Aware needs us to setup the timeout, why should be other hidden places to modify? Or why doesn't this setting in CP doesn't work if modified?

BTW, I use Aware server as "service". I normally shut down the service, make CP modifications, save/exit CP and restart Aware Service.
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

You must set the timeout in two places, one for the AwareIM server and one for the Tomcat server.

AwareIM: C:\AwareIM\bin\BASServer.props (also set through the control panel)
Tomcat: C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM\webapps.props
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Tomcat: C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM\webapps.props
Tomcat 8 sessionTimeout
The time, in seconds, after the creation of an SSL session that it will timeout. Use 0 to specify an unlimited timeout. If not specified, a default of 86400 (24 hours) is used.
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-do ... /http.html
robleer

Post by robleer »

Hi Guys,

I've changed those settings already to the following:

In the Basserver.props:
- UIProcessTimeOut=7200000
- SessionsTimeout=7200000

In the webapps.prop:
- SessionTimeout=7200000

But still, when I open an Business Object, wait for a while (about 30 minutes) and then I click "Save" the system does not respond (message: Sending data..... keeps visible).

So to my opinion the system does not reactie onto the changed settings (like BenHayat also said).

I also run the system as a Windows service and did restart the system after changing these settings.

So the problem is still there....
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

I have experienced this behavior before on a number of occasions and concluded that somewhere in the wait period there is a brief disconnect from the server, so when you eventually save, the form is disorientated (could there be something in the background trying to persist the form and gets broken by a network disconnect ?)

The worst is having to use F5 to reset and lose all the captured data. I have some sites that are prone to network volatility beyond their control and when this happens it always results in a reset of the browser accompanied by a curse to recapture data
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

I would like to get an official comment from Support about how Timout works, when it fails and any related info, we should know.
robleer

Post by robleer »

I agree, because it happens not now and then, but it happens always. Also on a very stable internet connection of even a local system.
robleer

Post by robleer »

I get this message after about 10 minutes....

See attachement...
Attachments
Knipsel.JPG
Knipsel.JPG (30.05 KiB) Viewed 14171 times
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

robleer wrote:I get this message after about 10 minutes....

See attachement...
I have also gotten this more than usual and this started somewhere after the latest couple of builds???
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

This is a classic example of a network disconnect, or at least temporary break in comms with your local server. I suspect awareim has to maintain persistence and something gets in the way. I could be wrong , but we need to find the cause and get a solution because it does lead to reset issues on the client

You could probably simulate this by disconnecting the network cable or disabling the wi-fi link from your machine for a brief moment
robleer

Post by robleer »

@ACDC (great band btw..)

My Aware installation runs on a very reliable infrastructure and although it can happen, I think it is strange that is happens a lot (always after 10 minute or so) and not only by me.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I am still on 5.9 and have been getting connection failures as described since the very last build of 5.9 before 6 came out.

It generally is more of an annoyance than anything since I can continue to use AIM once I've closed the message window down. I did notice that it occurs more often when I am running a process that is set to run in background after a defined period of time. It seems to occur when the process is trying to notify me that it has finished.

Hope this helps
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

In the BASServer.props it should be SessionTimeout, not SessionsTimeout

You also need to restart Aware IM after these changes. If it still doesn't help check the output of Tomcat and Aware IM server when the timeout happens to see which component actually times out.
Aware IM Support Team