Automating the Separator to Hide or Expose attributes

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ACDC

Automating the Separator to Hide or Expose attributes

Post by ACDC »

From a form layout perspective I have always used READ PROTECT to hide attributes that may not be relevant to the form at a particular stage of data capture.This keeps the form simple and uncluttered and gets me 10/10 for usability.

In my mind using READ PROTECT for the purpose of form layout (exposing an attribute) is an overkill as it forces an unnecessary save form and all rules to fire on the object.When you have a number of these on one form it does become onerous, especially if you have a number of complex rules on the object that are forced to fire for no purpose.

There is a very nice solution available in the Extjs that will allow you to configure a separator (fieldset) drop down icon to take on the shape of a checkbox. So if the "checkbox separator" is checked it exposes the contents and remembers its exposed state for the next time the form is loaded.This will be much more efficient and elegant method than using READ PROTECT

I put this forward to support as a possible extended option available on the separator config, but they do not share my view on this and believe READ PROTECT should suffice. The way I imagined it been implement is to provide an option on the configurator for a checkbox and a link to the Yes/No attribute in the object related to the checkbox separator

Anyway I am interested to find out, are there any other Aimers who might share my views, maybe we can get support to change their mind about automating the separator and include this feature

(BTW , automating the separator to expand if particular attributes are defined is possible by using the advanced button on the form, but the above is a nice cleaner and elegant solution)
Attachments
Separator Checkbox.jpg
Separator Checkbox.jpg (91.47 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
hpl123

Re: Automating the Separator to Hide or Expose attributes

Post by hpl123 »

ACDC;
Sorry but have a hard time understanding your suggestion / solution. Mind explaining a bit more? Thanks
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)