Feature Request - Choice of setting attribute to Uneditable

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenHayat

Feature Request - Choice of setting attribute to Uneditable

Post by BenHayat »

There are cases, i.e. unique name of a product, or product category assignment and etc., where once the user enters them at Create mode, those attribute will no longer be editable once saved, to protect the integrity of the data.

In queries, when the attributes show, they have the option to be edited or stay as readonly (default), which is great in grid format. However, such feature doesn't exist in Form mode. When I create an Edit form for user and show (for example) Product Name, I want to declare it as ReadOnly, so the user can see it but can't change it.

My current choices to solve this:
1) If I set Product Name as "Calculated", then user cannot do data entry in "Create" Mode.
2) If I Set it as "ReadOnly" in Access Level, then once an object is not in Full Access, then user will loose any "Delete" functionality.
3) If I create an HTML cell and use the attribute, then presentation and alignment doe not fit and match the rest of the attributes.

My proposed suggestion: I'd like to suggest to Support to add one other property called (editable) which will be a checkbox when we're creating attributes. By default it will be checked which will act just like now, but if we uncheck that property, then that attribute will show just like a "Shortcut" attribute on "Editing" forms.

Hence: This property should also be available at "Layout" level as well. Perhaps, we leave the attribute "Checked" during creation of attribute, but when we are creating Layout, we can uncheck the editing, like we have the option to "Hide label".

This clean solution at framework level, will save a lot of unnecessary workarounds, especially when the are many forms.
BenHayat

Re: Feature Request - Choice of setting attribute to Unedita

Post by BenHayat »

My proposed suggestion is to add this feature, as the following screen shot (Forgot to post it in original post).

Gabbitas

Post by Gabbitas »

Hi Ben,

Why can't you just use PROTECT rules for this.

For example put a rule in you product BO something like this:

If NOT (Product IS NEW)
then
PROTECT Product.Name FROM ALL EXCEPT System AND Administrator AND...... etc etc

or if you don't want a particular user to even see the attribute appear in a form use something like this:

If NOT (Product IS NEW)
then
READ PROTECT Product.Name FROM Client

See page 356 of the user guide

Unless of course I am missing the point you are making!

Thanks
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Gabbitas wrote:Hi Ben,

Why can't you just use PROTECT rules for this.

For example put a rule in you product BO something like this:

If NOT (Product IS NEW)
then
PROTECT Product.Name FROM ALL EXCEPT System AND Administrator AND...... etc etc

or if you don't want a particular user to even see the attribute appear in a form use something like this:

If NOT (Product IS NEW)
then
READ PROTECT Product.Name FROM Client

See page 356 of the user guide

Unless of course I am missing the point you are making!

Thanks
Thank you for your reply;
The app I'm developing, is a multi tenancy app which I had to put some extensive READ PROTECT and PROTECT for the purpose of multi tenancy and Uniqueness of data within each Tenant .
I did try your solution a while back but I was getting some side effects, affecting the multi tenancy and Product Name's "Uniqueness" in each Tenant. So I took it out. And that's why I proposed that suggestion at the framework level.

Thanks!