Wish list: ENTER NEW in a tab NOT a pop up

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
RLJB

Wish list: ENTER NEW in a tab NOT a pop up

Post by RLJB »

In many cases the form used to Create an object is large and the pop-up window is unusable with this form. Therefore, you can't use ENTER NEW (as it forces a pop-up).

It would be good to have the option of using a New Tab when using ENTER NEW.

The workaround we use is CREATE and then VIEW however this doesn't work with mandatory fields and causes other problems too.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Ok, I read the user guide:

NOTE: By default the form of the object will be displayed in a pop-up window. If the process finishes immediately after the user enters form values, you can designate the form to be displayed in the current window or in a new tab. For example:
ENTER NEW Account AND VIEW
ENTER NEW Account AND VIEW IN TAB

This is kinda useful BUT when you hit "create" it shows the empty form again to create another one (confusing!)
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

(continuing conversation with myself...)

ok, I found this VERY useful tip: you can do something like this and it works:

CREATE Tasks WITH Tasks.AccountLINK=ThisAccount
VIEW Tasks USING Main

This will:

- open in a Tab (not a pop-up), so big forms are ok

Still doesn't solve mandatory fields problem BUT you can at least use the WITH to pre-complete them.

So for a solution it would be good if you could do:

ENTER NEW Tasks WITH Tasks.AccountLINK=ThisAccount AND VIEW IN TAB

And then have it show the record after creation (rather than a new blank form)
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

This is kinda useful BUT when you hit "create" it shows the empty form again to create another one (confusing!)
I found the same issue with AND VIEW & AND VIEW IN TAB.

I don't want to use a pop-up form, so I've have a HTML/CSS button to start a process and display the 'ENTER NEW' entry form in a my Visual Perspective panel instead using AND VIEW

Code: Select all

<a href="#" onclick="AwareApp.startProcess ('myProcess', AwareApp.getPanelId('main','myTab','myPanel'))">CREATE OBJECT</a>
This works, but when you click on 'Create' is doesn't show you created object , instead it starts 'myProcess' again.

I have emailed support with a sample BSV of this.

Download the BSV I sent to support
http://www.4shared.com/file/g2nLFjIL/Issue.html

Cheers
RafaMD

Post by RafaMD »

I solved all isues with a custom process 'Create'

1. use CREATE WITH ... AND VIEW to view the form with default values.
2. In this form I use a HTML button (AwareApp.startprocessfromform...) to show a button 'CREATE'
3. When the user hits the button I test all the fields and use 'REPORT ERROR to abort if there is any error.
4. If all it's ok I 'create the objetc' setting a flag '(eg. create='yes') and use VIEW to show the edit form.

If for any reason the user no hit the button 'Create' I use the flag to delete the objects not really created.
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Hi Rafa,

I don't understand what you mean.

You use 'CREATE' first? But what if you have mandatory fields?

Is it similar to RLJB's post?
ok, I found this VERY useful tip: you can do something like this and it works:

CREATE Tasks WITH Tasks.AccountLINK=ThisAccount
VIEW Tasks USING Main

This will:

- open in a Tab (not a pop-up), so big forms are ok

Still doesn't solve mandatory fields problem BUT you can at least use the WITH to pre-complete them.
I don't want to create the object first, I want to be able to cancel the process (possible when using ENTER NEW).

The issue is with the AND VIEW in eg. ENTER NEW Object WITH Object.Attribute='someValue' USING 'Entry' AND VIEW

This is shown in Issue.bsv I have uploaded.
RafaMD

Post by RafaMD »

Yes, this workaround not allow mandatory fields, hence I test the fields in a process and cancel the process of creation if values are not allowed.

Really what I do is collect all the errors and warnings I've seen in the input data and show the user a list of all detected problems. As the user goes solving problems are eliminated from the list. And when the list is empty the user can record the object.

I use this method because it allows me to exhaustively verify the data before writing and also allows me complete freedom on what to do after creating the object (see the same form, other than, another object, ...)
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Thanks for explaining Rafa.
Yes, this workaround not allow mandatory fields, hence I test the fields in a process and cancel the process of creation if values are not allowed.

Can you give us an example of how you test the fields using a process?
Really what I do is collect all the errors and warnings I've seen in the input data and show the user a list of all detected problems. As the user goes solving problems are eliminated from the list. And when the list is empty the user can record the object.
Is the object already created in the database by this stage? I wouldn't want the user to have to 'solve' problems/issues with the form.

1. If object is already created, and the user solves all the issues on the list, isn't he just updating/saving the created object?
2. If he closes the form without solving the issues, you are left with a uncompleted object in your database.

Support, can you please clarify if there is a bug with AND VIEW/AND VIEW IN TAB, so we can decide which way to present the entry forms?
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

I've just figured out a workaround,

Using 'AND VIEW'

To run a ENTER NEW process and display the newly created Object in the same VP panel:

1. Create a process myProcessName:
ENTER NEW Object WITH Object.Attribute='someValue', Object.Attribute2='someValue' USING 'Entry' AND VIEW

2. On the Object's (One you are creating) 'Entry' form' got to Buttons>Execute process after save>myProcessName

In the Issue.bsv (see earlier replies for download link)
1. Create the above process
2. In the Issue object>Entry form>Buttons>select the process
3. Click on the 2nd button, create issue and it will display the Issue you just created instead of a new blank form
RafaMD

Post by RafaMD »

Can you give us an example of how you test the fields using a process?
It's simple. A process is a collection of rules. Really I use rules to test and the process to start the rule execution.

Is the object already created in the database by this stage?
If he closes the form without solving the issues, you are left with a uncompleted object in your database.
Read my first post:
The object is created, but the user don'nt know it.
I can audit why the object is not created and delete it.

I wouldn't want the user to have to 'solve' problems/issues with the form.
The user don´t have to solve any issue, simply he can't create the object until he have entered the data correctly. Furthermore, you can give the user tips, alerts, ...
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

CORRECTION
Using 'AND VIEW'

To run a ENTER NEW process and display the newly created Object in the same VP panel:

ENTER NEW Object WITH Object.Attribute='someValue', Object.Attribute2='someValue' USING 'Entry' AND VIEW

2. On the Object's (One you are creating) 'Entry' form' got to Buttons>Execute process after save>myProcessName
Using 'AND VIEW'

2. Create a HTML link/button <a href="#" onclick="AwareApp.startProcess ('myProcess', AwareApp.getPanelId('main','myTab','myPanel'))">CREATE OBJECT</a>

3. Create another process viewOject:
VIEW ThisObject

4. On the Object's (One you are creating) 'Entry' form' got to Buttons>Execute process after save>viewObject